A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, December 30, 2016

The big finale


First of all, my computer crashed and burned; may it rest in peace...

I really limited my pictures because I took way too many. This first piece of fabric had the discharge paste on it and was by far the most beautiful piece done. I have included 2 detailed pictures.






This was done with the Clorox bleach pen and this is the finished product. If you don't see the circles, it is because the bleach pen did NOTHING.


This one had the Clorox toilet bowl cleaner and it worked well and fast. I think if I use the toilet bowl cleaner again, I will stop the bleaching process much sooner. In my opinion, it took too much color out - my fault.


In an effort to add a bit of color, I totally ruined this piece of fabric



Another example of not stopping soon enough but all in all it was very usable.


This piece was saved with bleach. The original was nothing but blobs of color and not in a good way.


OK, so now what am I going to do with it? I already had this project in mind when I started the add and subtract color process.  Every year I make solstice cards and after the election I wanted to make a positive statement so I selected two quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King and made bookmarks.


I got  out my roll of steam a seam and bonded the steam a seam to the backs of the printed bookmarks.






The I trimmed and cut the individual bookmarks






I think they came out well and I can give my friends a positive Solstice greeting they can use all year.

I  hope you found this colorful if not useful (smile). See you next year!!

5 comments:

  1. Great way to use your fabric, and I appreciate seeing how the different products worked or didn't. I first learned to discharge using dishwasher soap with bleach... works pretty good, but once I bought a bottle and found out later it didn't contain bleach... oops! Happy New Year, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clorox Bleach Pen works great, but it has to be fresh. I buy a new one anytime I want to discharge, which isn't very often. I love the idea of book marks. Yours are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Soft Scrub with bleach? This is my favorite for natural fibers. I have found that the bleach pens often leave a "halo" which I don't like..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what experimenting is all about and to get the great feedback is what sharing is all about! Keep it coming! We keep living and we keep learning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pieces, thanks for the tutorials each post. love the way they all turned out, good and not so perfect! What a perfect way to use the results!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.