A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Background Check - Week 4 - PHOTO

It seems to me that so many art quilters I meet also love photography. Personally I have a HUGE collection of random photos of all kinds of things. I use them for inspiration mostly. But I wanted to integrate a photo even more into my art as an experiment.

A couple of years ago I was creating pieces in the theme of Earth. I chose to depict 4 amazing natural wonders. One of those was the Giant Sequoias in California. We had taken some trips while in California and I LOVE the way the trees look in a morning mist. THAT is want I wanted to show. The tall giants peacefully standing in the forest, the trees in the distance fading into a mere shadow. In the distance they turn into a more gray scale background. But how to do that was the question...to make them distant and fading yet discernable.

I had previously printed a photo onto silk organza and loved the ethereal effect. If I printed the trees in black and white on the silk organza it just might work!

It took a couple of prints to cover the space I needed. Here is how it turned out. In the close-up you can see the photo on silk organza.



And here is the final piece.

GIANTS  IN  THE  MIST

Because of the misty look I wanted, I printed the photo in black and white. But depending on the photo and what you want to do with it....color could work just as well! Take a stroll through your own photos and you just might see something that will inspire a new piece of art!

Now yes, I know it has been four weeks. BUT...I'm lucky enough to have a long month!!! Be SURE to come back on Monday. There will be a surprise and an announcement!  Then on Wednesday I'll just close off the month with a few miscellaneous thoughts on backgrounds.

Kelly L Hendrickson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.