A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Boring Quilt Top - part 2

After screen printing some designs on the top, and washing it, I decided to get out my batik wax and some plexiglass circles that I bought years ago and wax-resisted several circle shapes all over the quilt top.




Then I dyed the whole thing using Procion Stormy Grey color. Here it is after the dye bath, the circles aren't as prominent as I had hoped. In fact, they hardly showed up. I have to admit that I did this dyeing back in December, and the conditions in my basement weren't that great for a good dye job.


This picture was taken in bright sunlight last month, and I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with this...

And by now, this quilt top is starting to fall apart at the seams-- check out the fraying going on in these pictures of the back.  Dyeing a couple of times, then throwing it in the washing machine has really caused some problems.




I still like it, but I'll probably end up cutting it up and using parts for various projects.


Would you ever try this with a quilt top you've already quilted?  It would definitely hold up better, being less likely to fall apart or fray...

Happy Independence Day, America!







2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I would have the courage to do this.
    But I do like the result.
    Cutting it up for other pieces might be interesting....

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.