A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Hello Yvonne Watson here.


 Now from natural to manmade.
 I would like to share with you my use of polyester and manmade fabrics.
I first started exploring the use of these fabrics whilst studying for my BA Art and Design course
way back in the 1990s.
I was working with hand made paper at the time and wanted a way of combining fabric with the paper pulp.

After many experiments with various methods I devised a working method of incorporating the paper pulp with textile strands.
One of the fabrics that I particularly liked was a mix of polyester and viscose and when it was devoréd you were left with strands.
So with the use of the polyester mix I explored the dyeing options and as they say one thing led to another and so I would like to share some of the methods I use to colour and work with polyester and man made fabrics.
During our course we explored fabric manipulation and so that is another reason why I use these manmade fabrics. Whilst I no longer work with paper my latest exhibition piece did involve manipulating fabric and I will share the process with you at a later stage. Below are some examples of manipulation techniques I have used. I will be explaining these as we go along.


 I hope you will join me on Friday when I will be back with some results from recent experiments and the methods I have used.
Yvonne

4 comments:

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.