A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

overpacking and wishes granted

More on deconstructed screen printing with me! Diane and friends.  I don't travel light when I pack up to go to art camp.  A few years ago, I took all my thickened dyes and all my screens and a pile of soda-soaked fabric and really had a great time demonstrating for my friends.  They all come to art camp with their own projects but I usually manage to tickle them into trying something new.

Here's Nancy again printing with her own screens.  She lives in South Carolina now, so she doesn't bring as many supplies as can fit into a minivan. 

My table inside was so full of stuff I'd brought and it was such a beautiful weekend, I took the table I brought (!) and set up outside.  Lots of steps going in and out for supplies, screens, and more cloth.  Nancy and Susan chatting with me while I work.

Here's another venue - at a friend's home and we're printing on the driveway.  Loved those green gloves but they sprung a leak and I was marked for life - or maybe it was only a week.


Elisa and Pat seriously watching me work.  I try hard to keep the crowd entertained even while laying out the steps. They lightened up a bit when the demo was over and got started printing - deconstructed screen printing is fun!  And just look at the drying line running through the garage.

A lot of my screens are protected with green duct tape.  I like green and frogs.  In the beginning I washed out my screens and a lot of water collected inside since really duct tape isn't all that perfect or my taping wasn't - one or the other.  I tossed out a couple of wooden screens when I could feel the wood crunch and squish between my fingers.  My latest favorite screens have hardly any tape on them - I'll show you those in my next post.


Another venue with me demonstrating. I'm filling in spaces between the prints with extra dye.  It's green dye and I'm wearing a frog shirt.  :)   This time at the Contemporary Handweavers of Texas conference which are usually booked at a hotel.  I had listed all my "wouldn't it be nice" wishes when I put in the room requirements for my subject which was screen printing on handwoven fabric.  I got a classroom at a local art facility for my seminar with a sink and no carpeting on the floor plus this overhead mirror just like we used in college!  Well, almost like the one we had in the 60's. That one at Arizona State University was attached to the raised rolling table with more clearance underneath.  I banged my head on this one at least fourteen times.  Be careful what you wish for.

Diane - yarngoddess

3 comments:

  1. Diane,
    I always wondered about the unprinted area between prints. Do you tend to stay with one colorway when printing? Looking forward to a look at your screens on your next post.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun. In Maine we say, "And a good time was had by all"!! Bet I'd love Art Camp too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to spend your time!

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.