A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, April 13, 2015

Guest post- A Creative Fire part 1

My name is elle and I'm learning to play with fire.


As opposed to setting our art or even our art room on fire,  I'd like to talk about setting our creative mind on fire.

I want to talk about the trinity that brings us JOY and sets us on fire.

Very often it is the simplest of things that make for satisfaction-  coffee, cream, sugar; or perhaps it is coffee, a good book and a comfy chair;  or even coffee, friends, conversation, etc.   ;^)  But anything seriously  complicated makes creases in our foreheads. The joy smolders.  If we eliminate the name calling and use the KIS principle- keep it simple,  we can perhaps gain a better understanding of what starts a creative fire, revives cooling embers or even builds up the wood supply for that flaming fire.. It is of course understood that simple is not the same as fast, easy, sloppy, etc. but keeping the decision making simple keeps the firewood ready!


This week I would like to look at the Trinity, The Power of Three as it applies to art.

The Power of Three:

Art, a three letter word, is comprised of three parts.  The three basic components of art are Subject, Form and Content.  A creative work employs composition, elements of art and principles of design.  The result should produce joy!  And light your fire!

Joy begins with J for justification. The artist must have a subject, a theme, a beginning that is worthy of exploring and expressing.  It is the motivation that will carry the project from conception, through choice, to completion.

There is no joy in settling for same old, same old.  What fires your creativity?  A familiar subject or series still needs justification. 




Triangle!  Three different ways- good, better, best!  My mum used to tell me good, better, best.  Never let them rest, until the good is better, and the better is BEST! 

Puttering around in my playroom makes me happy.  But am I experiencing Joy?  Honestly, no.  I'm letting fear of the fire paralyze me.  I can not justify my current projects.   It is time to start playing with the fire!  But I think my wood is wet!

Next we'll have a look at the fuel.

5 comments:

  1. Food for thought Elle.I'm looking forward to your next post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I am looking forward to dry wood!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading more about the fuel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post. I will visit your blog regularly for Some latest post.
    bra tape

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.