A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Batik with thickened dye

My two favorite supplies to use in surface design are hot wax and thickened dye. You will not wonder why this batik technique is my favorite.

Like in any batik project, you need to apply hot soy wax to your fabric using whatever tools you have.



This is an antique potato masher my friend Marcella gave me. It is definitely one of my favorites.



The pieces above and below are done with a ordinary bore's hair paint brush. All of these pieces are done on pre-soaked (soda ash) cotton.





Next I make up my thickened dye and get out the old credit cards. These are unused gift cards (although who wouldn't use a Godiva gift card??)

Here I am scraping on the thickened dye with the card.






The cooloest thing about this technique is that after applying dye to one side of the fabric, you can scrape an entirely different color on the back.







I did this one on one side only because it was done with a tjanting tool in handwriting.

Another great winter batiking project. Hope you give this a try!

5 comments:

  1. Love this work and really like the purple colour. Can l ask what and how you thicken your dye with , please. Lynda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the credit card squeegee idea. I like seeing that you can apply another color to the backside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post! Thank you for the super pictures and explanation. Love seeing the creative process.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.