A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, November 12, 2012

My work with texture


Even before Judith shared her tutorial on extreme texture, it was a subject I have been very interested in. I really loved her piece and reflected back on a piece I did a few years ago and thought I'd share that with you.


This started out as a large piece of hand dyed scrim over cotton. I couched silk sari yarn and used rope under both layers with top stitching pulled tightly to create the corded bits. I used two sizes of rope. I also used beads.


You may recognize "Collateral Damage". This was a piece I made to show the destruction of forest land for housing developments on huge lots.


The "leaves" are small bits of hand dyed scrim that were stitched in place.


I drew these "Roots" and had thermofax screens made from the sketches. The roots are growing into the "blood" of all the animals who lost their homes so people could have huge lawns for their McMansions.


This is the forest floor and rocky layers underneath using raffia, tied balls of thread, flat rocks, hair mats from my dogs fur and sari yarn to represent rocks.


This area has sari yarn, rock, and dyed silk chiffon filled with stuffing to represent the rocks. The subsurface is made with tucks of dyed rayon fabric.

5 comments:

  1. The texture in the forest piece is fabulous. I love that you used dog hair. I have enough cat hair in my house to make an entire piece solely from her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the texture, color, design...wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog. This forest piece is truly magnificent ... love the strata of the earth too.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this -- there's something really compelling about this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.