A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Fugitive Media

Finally, I've had some time to try out this technique! I used some regular pastels on white fabric, just drawing some flowers out in various colors. Then I painted the whole piece a very light lavender using Pebeo Setacolor paint, covered it with textile medium using a screen, and quilted some outlines in black. Here's a picture from late last night when I finally had to put it away and go to bed:

More flowers. It was a lot easier to draw the flowers out first, then sew around them. The textile medium I used seemed to create almost a laminate type of fabric. Definitely gave my sewing machine needle a workout--I want to wash the piece to see if it softens up a bit.

And here's another piece I painted some flowers on with setacolors in pink & yellow, then drew the leaves in with pastels. I learned that the setacolors are pretty transparent and the pastels aren't, as you can see in the leaf on the right side.


I took the textile medium and applied only to the green parts with a brush, then heat set the piece with my iron and threw it all in the washing machine. No fading or anything following the wash.


Finally, this last piece was from the challenge we had recently--there was too much white on it when I got it back, so I decided to color in the white lines with a blue pastel crayon. It actually looks purple in this picture, which makes me thing I might want to color it over in purple.


I screened the textile medium on this, too, and washed it, but it still feels kind of stiff. I just got a cheap medium at Joann's or Michael's, if someone is using a better one that doesn't stiffen up the fabric, could you tell me which one I should try?

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    I use the base extender from Prochem. I think Karen posted about another one that she really liked. I know the Prochem one does change the hand of the fabric but not that much. My machine has no problems with it and I have even hand quilted over it.

    What did you think of using the screen to spread the textile medium? I found I didn't like it. Seemed to use more of the liquid, give me less control, and would pick up some of the color from the fugitive medium and drop in the shape of the screen giving me odd little boxes. I now use brushes or...I think I just use brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been using GAC900 from Golden. It's pricey and hard to find -- at least in my small town -- but it changes the hand of the fabric the least, imo. I started a project to test all the ones I have in my stash, but it's underneath a bunch of other projects, so I'm unlikely to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.